Monday, January 26, 2009

CAT !! why so much hooplah??

There I was thinking of CAT which was scheduled to start at 10:30 AM and last time to reach the venue at 10:00, still in my night wear at 9:30 AM. CAT CAT CAT people tend to talk about it as though its the last exam of their life and this will mean whether you will go to hell or heaven, well for some it does mean. But for others , most of the others it still does not ring any bell. I could hear my uncle trying to wake me up every 5 minutes like my snooze alarm. I would say yaa I am awake and then go to a CAT nap. Finally woke up at 9:45 and changed my clothes in 2 minutes popped in a tooth brush along with some sparkling toothpaste put on shoes without socks and told my uncle to drop me. By this time he was already furious with me for being so lethargic but anyways the hell did I cared. When I reached the venue, I could see the door being closed so ran and put a leg into the gate just in time to prevent it from being closed. Anywyas I managed to reach in time. I was already groaning about the fact that if the exam is at 10:30 why the hell did they want us to reach by 10:00. Filled the required mandatory fields in next 5 minutes and then what? The next 25 minutes were supposed to suppress the nerves if any. In my case I was getting more and more irritable cause it meant more time to end the exam. Anywyas the final 10:30 bell rang and amidst the sound of crisp polythene out came the CAT. Mathematics okk DI what the hell ( that too after the sitters that were present last year) was too tough and english surprisingly had almost 60% more weightage than any other section. Why I dont know. I was just thinking attempt 50 minutes each section no priorities to questions getting correct answers, just attempt 50 minutes. So I started with maths still trying to get hold of myself and fighting already accumulated sleep debt. It took me 8 questions to pass the 50 minutes. Then came DI Duh!! whats this crap this year tough questions difficult calculation. arrghh! anyways attempted 9 questions and I said enuf. English has 40 questions so just spent 45 minutes to give extra time to English. Yes I did. 55 minutes to english just coz it has 40 q rahter than 25 in other. Okk tried reading some. But it was tough. Hadnt read much for quite some time. Anyways with time ticking away I attempted 12 questions in 45 minutes and thought english is tough not many would be able to score much. So went back to DI to solve more tried for 5 minutes wasnt able to get to any conclusion in the set I tried so guessed at one of the question and went back to maths to try for another. But I wanst able to solve another. So the bell rang Uncle was waiting at the gate and asked "which IIM" I said "wheres the car parked". I got back home tried to pay back some sleep debt. Turned out even though I didnt care about CAT, curiosity still kills the cat. So I turned on the pc and updated the score on Career Launchers(CL) and IMS and waited for 5PM and there it was maths 8 attempted 8 correct I was happy. DI 10 attempted 9 correct according to one site and 8 correct according to another. English 12 attempted 9 correct. I was thinking whoa! I should get 95 %ile if it were last year exam. But it wasnt to be. Soon the forecast percentile was on and acc to CL I would get some 89 %ile at the 91 score it showed I would get. Damn not even MICA. But I had given CAT last year I knew the basic fault in the strategy they use. The percentile projection is based on only those inputs given, what about those who havent performed well so they dont even try to input their scores. I had seen this last year when acc to IMS my percentile should have been 77 adn turned out to be 85. So I turned on the IMS site and voila they have done a makover of their projection formula and are using some kindof approximation technique and according to it my score was 96 and my percentile to be 93. As the result came I was duly surprised to see that the percentile was actually 93. Though I knew I got more than expected. I had scored 95 and in english the scores were better than what the key said and in DI it was less. Anyways I had a tough day ahead ( read the posts below). I wasnt happy I wasnt sad. Went to the Golden temple to thank the god. And happy I returned to see 13 is not bad.

PS- My question remains. Why so much hooplah. If you keep up the pace and luck is with you attempting 150 minutes to pass 50 questions is not a tough task.

PSS- I attempted 30 questions 25 of which were correct.

PSSS- I didnt get a better %ile thats why I wrote this. Angoor khatte hain.

Regarding the IIM calls. Calls are almost always profile based. For exp IIM A calls on basis of cat score. You get 25%score in each category and 33%over all. Its very likely you will get it. IIM B puts emphasis on english score, IIM C on workex, IIM I, L , K adds all ur scores. But the most un understandable was IIM S which gave calls by playing dice. If you have 90% in graduation and even a 89%ile in each section you will get a call. If u dont have 85 % in 10th 12th, no matter if you have 99.86 %ile( one did have this and didnt get call) and >95 in each category forget about IIM S. It seems to be making a batch of intellectual engineering toxic. BTW how does one get >90 % in Engineering.

No comments: